Contact us for more information about our company and science
CareersResearch Scientist – Molecular Microbiologist
Research Scientist – Molecular Microbiologist
Azitra Inc. is an emerging biotechnology company that leverages its extensive knowledge of proteomics, genetic engineering and the skin microbiome to discover and develop novel products for the treatment of skin conditions and diseases. The company is looking to hire a Molecular Microbiologist at the Associate Research Scientist or Research Scientist level.
As a Research Scientist you will;
- Design and conduct screens for commensal strains secreting novel biological activities.
- Independently design and engineer Gram-negative and Gram-positive bacteria to optimally express specific phenotypes and recombinant proteins.
- Conduct experiments to characterize the in vitro and in vivo properties of constructed bacterial strains and screening hits.
- Analyze data from genomic sequencing of bacterial isolates for the identification of specific genes and biosynthetic gene clusters affecting strain properties
- Propose and prioritize next steps for strain improvement, and systematically trouble-shoot technical hurdles.
- As appropriate, identify, pursue, and implement new technologies to support and expand internal capabilities.
- Constructively contribute new ideas, suggestions, insights at project meetings, as well as ad hoc.
- Support internal and external collaborations.
- Record and present data in well-organized written and oral formats.
- Write study reports and draft manuscripts.
- Work effectively in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Attend and present at internal and external meetings/conferences as required.
You background will likely include:
A background in molecular microbiology, experience in prokaryotic recombinant gene expression, bacterial physiology, genetics and strain construction.
- Experience with genome analyses, bioinformatic tools, and use of relevant databases
- Familiarity with handling BSL-2 bacteria, mammalian cell culture, and sterile technique.
- Experience in the development and performance of biochemical and mammalian/bacterial cell-based assays.
- The ability to design/troubleshoot/ validate assays, and critically analyze assay data.
- Excellent technical and computer skills; familiarity with current molecular techniques and software, including the ability to design/construct. plasmids, genetically manipulate bacterial strains, and analyze sequence data for cloning purposes. Routine experience with Western blots, ELISAs, PCR, qPCR.
- Ability to work with database-related software to manage and capture study data.
- PhD , MS + 2 years, or BS + >5 years, degree in biology, microbiology, molecular biology, genetics, or biotechnology.
- Prior experience in recombinant gene expression in bacteria, proficiency in cloning/plasmid construction, and bacterial strain construction are absolutely required. Knowledge of bacterial physiology, genetics and experience with Gram-positive bacteria are highly desired. Experience working with skin commensal bacteria a plus.
Subject Line: Molecular Microbiologist